You all can attest that finding the right investment firms nowadays can be hectic due to the many options out there, with the main challenge being landing the right company to trust with your cash. Thankfully, we have done the hard hustle for you, compiling a list of the top asset management companies handling trillions of dollars worldwide.
We chose these companies considering several factors, including decades of experience, expertise in handling stocks and real estate, and a proven track record of solid returns. So, this guide seeks to give you global financial giants or a scoop on where the savviest investors are putting their money, which means you should also try them.
A Quick Comparison
|Company||Total Assets Under Management||Investment Options||Approach/Philosophy||ESG Integration||Client Focus|
|BlackRock||$9 trillion||Equities, Fixed Income, Multi-Asset, Alternatives||Data, Tech, Human Expertise||Yes||Long-term financial goals|
|Fidelity||$2.5 trillion||Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Mutual Funds, Banking, Insurance, Retirement Planning||Innovation and Commitment||Yes||Investor Success and Innovation|
|Goldman Sachs||$1.5 trillion||Equity, Fixed Income, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Real Estate||Expertise||Yes||Corporations, Institutions, Governments|
|J.P. Morgan||$2.3 trillion||Equities, Fixed Income, Real Estate, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Liquidity||Global Reach||Yes||Institutions, Advisors, Individuals|
|Capital Group||$2 trillion||Mutual Funds, Retirement and College Savings Options||Company Research, Analysis||No||Long-term Solid Results|
|BNY Mellon||$1.9 trillion||Equities, Fixed Income, Cash, Alternative Investments||Asset Management Services||Yes||Corporations, Individuals, Nonprofits|
|State Street||$2.7 trillion||Nearly Every Investable Asset Class||Cost-Effective, Tax-Efficient||No||Institutional, Individual|
|The Vanguard Group||$6.2 trillion||Low-Cost Mutual Funds, ETFs||Low Costs, Long-term||Yes||Individual Investors|
|Allianz||$2.5 trillion||Equities, Fixed Income, Real Estate, Infrastructure, Private Equity||ESG Factors||Yes||Institutions, Financial Advisors, Individuals|
|Northern Trust||$10.9 trillion custody, $1.2 trillion management||Investment Management, Financial Planning, Global Custody, Fund Administration, Investment Operations||Innovative Technology||Yes||High-net-worth Individuals, Institutions|
|Amundi||$2 trillion||Equities, Fixed Income, Multi-Asset Solutions, Real Assets, Structured Products||ESG Factors||Yes||Retail and Institutional Investors|
|Charles Schwab Corp.||One of the 14 largest||Banking, Brokerage, Financial Advisory, Custody Services||Human Touch, Innovative Tech||No||Individual Investors, Independent Advisors|
|Invesco||$1.2 trillion||Equity, Fixed Income, Balanced, Alternative, Multi-Asset Portfolios||Active, High Conviction||No||Retail and Institutional Investors|
|Merrill||$2.2 trillion||Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Mutual Funds, Annuities, Alternative Investments||Guided Investing||No||Individuals, Businesses, Institutions|
Table of Contents
- 1. BlackRock: Leading Global Investment Management Firm with $9 Trillion in Assets
- 2. Fidelity: Leading Global Investment Management Firm with $9 Trillion in Assets
- 3. Goldman Sachs: A Prestigious Investment Bank with $1.5 Trillion Under Management
- 4. J.P. Morgan: Managing $2.3 Trillion Across Diverse Investment Options
- 5. Capital Group: A Home of American Funds with Over $2 Trillion in Assets
- 6. BNY Mellon: An Established Investment Company with $1.9 Trillion AUM
- 7. State Street: Pioneering Asset Allocation with $2.7 Trillion in Assets
- 8. The Vanguard Group: A Pioneer in Low-Cost Index Funds with $6.2 Trillion AUM
- 9. Allianz: Combining Expertise and ESG Factors with $2.5 Trillion in AUM
- 10. Northern Trust: A Leading Asset Servicing Firm with $10.9 Trillion in Assets Under Custody
- 11. Amundi: Europe’s Largest Asset Manager with Over $2 Trillion in Assets Worldwide
- 12. Charles Schwab Corporation: Revolutionizing Retail Brokerage with $6.7 Trillion in Client Assets
- 13. Invesco: A Global Investment Management Giant with Over $1.2 Trillion in AUM
- 14. Merrill: A Century-Old Icon in Investment and Wealth Management with $2.2 Trillion AUM
1. BlackRock: Leading Global Investment Management Firm with $9 Trillion in Assets
Total Assets: Manages over $9 trillion in assets
- Pioneering the iShares family of exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
- Making passive investing accessible to the masses.
- Providing active strategies and alternative investments.
BlackRock is one of the global investment management leaders in matters of managing serious assets. For this reason, it oversees more than $9 trillion in assets. Founded in 1988, BlackRock started as a simple bond shop which later grew exponentially into a powerhouse through acquisitions and innovative thinking.
Led by CEO Larry Fink, BlackRock is known for pioneering the iShares family of exchange-traded funds (ETFs). It is also known for making passive investing accessible to the masses. The best part? They provide active strategies and alternative investments across equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternatives.
BlackRock aims to help clients achieve their long-term financial goals; thanks to their risk management and sustainability programs. Furthermore, they employ data, technology, and human expertise to gain insights into markets and build better portfolios.
Therefore, utilizing its risk management system means that this company leads the right way in applying technology to investing.
2. Fidelity: Leading Global Investment Management Firm with $9 Trillion in Assets
Total Assets: Manages $2.5 trillion globally
- Diverse investment options, from stocks and bonds to ETFs and mutual funds.
- Extensive services including high-net-worth individuals, banking, insurance, and retirement planning.
- Champions low-cost index funds and ETFs.
Fidelity Investments established in 1946 has $2.5 trillion globally. The company boasts 40 million customers and manages over 23,000 institutions. They offer diverse investment options which range from stocks and bonds to ETFs and mutual funds. What’s more? Their services extend to high-net-worth individuals, banking, insurance, and retirement planning. The best part? Fidelity champions low-cost index funds and ETFs, which helps in amplifying investor returns. Leveraging their massive asset base, they provide affordable funds and insightful market education. Overall, Fidelity’s rich history of innovation and unwavering commitment to investor success cements its dominance in the financial landscape, a steadfast ally for those seeking financial growth.
3. Goldman Sachs: A Prestigious Investment Bank with $1.5 Trillion Under Management
Total Assets: Manages over $1.5 trillion
- A prestigious investment bank with a focus on investment banking, equity, and debt issuance.
- Comprehensive investment solutions across various asset classes.
- A global workforce of 38,000 reinforces their pervasive influence.
Founded in 1869, Goldman Sachs is one of the most prestigious investment banks in the world. Their investment banking division aids corporations, institutions, and governments in capital raising through equity and debt issuance, and advises on mergers and acquisitions. Notably, clients like Apple, General Motors, and Alibaba emphasize their prominence. Managing over $1.5 trillion, Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) provides comprehensive investment solutions across equity, fixed income, hedge funds, private equity, and real estate, catering to diverse needs globally. What’s more? operating from New York City, their 38,000-strong global workforce reinforces their pervasive influence, attracting and nurturing top finance talent who often ascend to leadership roles in various sectors.
4. J.P. Morgan: Managing $2.3 Trillion Across Diverse Investment Options
Total Assets: Manages over $2.3 trillion in assets
- Offers investment solutions for institutions, advisors, and individuals across major asset classes.
- A major player in alternative investments like commodities, infrastructure, and transportation.
- Global presence in over 30 countries.
As one of the world’s largest investment banks, J.P. Morgan also manages an impressive $2.3 trillion in assets through its asset management division. They offer investment solutions for institutions, advisors and individuals across major asset classes, including equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity and liquidity. The best part? They are a major player in alternative investments like commodities, infrastructure, and transportation.
With a presence in over 30 countries, J.P. Morgan Asset Management has a truly global reach, leveraging insights and best practices from across regions to serve clients worldwide. So, whether you’re an institutional investor looking to outsource Chief Investment Officer functions or an individual looking for retirement planning advice, J.P. Morgan Asset Management has the investment expertise and solutions to meet your needs.
5. Capital Group: A Home of American Funds with Over $2 Trillion in Assets
Total Assets: Manages over $2 trillion in assets
- Focuses on active management, research-driven strategies, and an investor-centric approach.
- Offers a wide range of mutual funds and retirement and college savings options.
- Emphasizes delivering solid long-term results.
Capital Group, also considered a home of American Funds, is one of the world’s leading investment management firms founded in 1931. It focuses on active management, research-driven strategies, and an investor-centric approach.
With over $2 trillion in assets under management, Capital Group offers a wide range of mutual funds, and retirement and college savings options. The best part? They are focused on delivering solid long-term results through in-depth company research and analysis. What’s more? These diverse portfolio managers have the flexibility to invest for the long run, allowing them to take advantage of opportunities as markets fluctuate.
6. BNY Mellon: An Established Investment Company with $1.9 Trillion AUM
Total Assets: Manages over $1.9 trillion in assets
- Provides institutional asset management and investment services globally.
- Offers investment management across various asset classes.
- A global presence with over 52,000 employees across 35 countries.
Founded in 1784, BNY Mellon is one of the oldest investment companies with over $1.9 trillion in assets under management. It has been providing institutional asset management and investment services to corporations, individuals, and nonprofits worldwide.
This company offers investment management across many asset classes, including equities, fixed income, cash, and alternative investments. It has a global presence, with over 52,000 employees across 35 countries. This global reach allows it to serve clients all over the world.
A key part of BNY Mellon’s business is its role as a custodian bank, one of the world’s largest. As a custodian, it holds customers’ financial assets for safekeeping to minimize risk. It also provides related services like accounting, auditing, and tax reporting.
7. State Street: Pioneering Asset Allocation with $2.7 Trillion in Assets
Total Assets: Holds $2.7 trillion in assets under management
- A pioneer in asset allocation, helping institutional investors achieve their financial goals.
- Offers access to nearly every investable asset class.
- Focuses on cost-effective and tax-efficient index funds, ETFs, and asset allocation.
State Street Corporation is among the pioneers in asset allocation, which helps institutional investors achieve their financial goals holding $2.7 trillion in assets under management. This makes it a leader in global finance, especially institutional asset management.
Founded in 1792, State Street opened its doors in Boston as the nation’s first bank, and today, it provides investment servicing, investment management, and research and trading services to help clients maximize returns and manage risk.
The amazing part? State Street’s approach focuses on cost-effective and tax-efficient index funds, ETFs, and asset allocation, providing access to nearly every investable asset class, including stocks, bonds, real estate, private equity, hedge funds, infrastructure, and commodities.
8. The Vanguard Group: A Pioneer in Low-Cost Index Funds with $6.2 Trillion AUM
Total Assets: Manages over $6.2 trillion in assets
- A pioneer in low-cost index funds.
- Focuses on long-term, buy-and-hold investing.
- Offers a wide array of low-cost mutual funds and ETFs.
As the second-largest investment management company in the world, Vanguard is a pioneer in low-cost index funds. With over $6.2 trillion in assets under management, Vanguard focuses on long-term, buy-and-hold investing.
Founded in 1975, Vanguard introduced the first index fund for individual investors. Their funds track the overall stock or bond market, rather than trying to pick winners. This “passive” approach and their nonprofit content structure allow Vanguard to charge very low fees. In fact, Vanguard’s average fund expense ratio is 82% less than the industry average.
Vanguard’s vision is that lower costs lead to better returns for investors over time. Their funds have no loads or commissions and minimal marketing or advertising costs. Instead, Vanguard returns profits to fund shareholders in the form of lower fees. Over decades of investing, these small differences in fees can mean tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars more in your account.
With a huge array of low-cost mutual funds and ETFs, Vanguard has an option for almost any investment goal. From broad stock market funds to targeted sectors like technology or healthcare, and from short-term bonds to long-term treasuries, you can build a highly diversified portfolio for the lowest cost.
Vanguard’s innovative spirit and commitment to individual investors have revolutionized the investment industry. Their principled focus on low costs and long-term success has allowed millions of people to achieve financial freedom and security.
9. Allianz: Combining Expertise and ESG Factors with $2.5 Trillion in AUM
Total Assets: Manages over $2.5 trillion in assets
- A large insurance company with a formidable asset management arm.
- Offers investment solutions incorporating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors.
- A stable, reputable firm with a proven track record of performance.
Allianz is one of the largest insurance companies in the world, but it also has a formidable asset management arm. With over $2.5 trillion in assets under management, Allianz Global Investors has a presence in over 20 countries.
Their investment expertise spans equities, fixed income, real estate, infrastructure, and private equity. Allianz GI offers investment solutions for institutions, financial advisors, and individuals alike. They incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into their investment decisions and portfolio management.
Allianz GI’s parent company, Allianz SE, traces its roots back to 1890 in Germany. Over the decades, through strategic acquisitions, Allianz has grown into a global financial powerhouse. Their asset management division was formed in 2000, bringing together several investment management subsidiaries under one umbrella.
Allianz GI has a long-term, active investment approach. They believe identifying structural growth trends and high-quality companies that can benefit from them over the long run leads to solid returns. Their strategies cover all major asset classes, capitalizations, sectors, and geographies.
With over 2,500 employees, including more than 500 investment professionals, Allianz GI has the global reach and resources to support even the most sophisticated institutional investors. At the same time, their digital investment services make them accessible to individuals seeking help reaching their financial goals.
Allianz GI is a stable, reputable firm with a proven track record of performance. For investors looking for a trusted partner to navigate unpredictable markets, Allianz Global Investors fits the bill. Their blend of expertise, global capabilities, and long-term vision has allowed them to become one of the preeminent asset managers worldwide.
10. Northern Trust: A Leading Asset Servicing Firm with $10.9 Trillion in Assets Under Custody
Total Assets: Over $10.9 trillion in assets under custody and $1.2 trillion in assets under management
- Offers asset servicing and asset management services.
- Provides wealth management services for high-net-worth individuals and families.
- Renowned for innovative technology, client service excellence, and commitment to diversity.
Northern Trust is one of the world’s leading asset servicing and asset management firms, with $10.9 trillion in assets under custody and $1.2 trillion in assets under management. Founded in 1889, Northern Trust is headquartered in Chicago and has over 20 international locations.
Northern Trust’s wealth management division provides investment management, financial planning, banking, and trust and estate services to high-net-worth individuals and families. Its institutional services include global custody, fund administration, investment operations outsourcing, investment management, and revenue enhancement solutions for corporate and public retirement funds, foundations, endowments, fund managers, insurance companies, and financial institutions worldwide.
Northern Trust is renowned for its innovative technology, focus on client service excellence, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It has received numerous industry recognitions, including being named one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune Magazine for eight consecutive years.
With over 130 years of financial experience, Northern Trust combines a long-term, growth-oriented business model with prudent risk management. Its substantial financial strength and stability give clients confidence that their assets are secure and accessible when needed. Northern Trust aims to build enduring relationships and help secure the long-term financial well-being of its clients.
11. Amundi: Europe’s Largest Asset Manager with Over $2 Trillion in Assets Worldwide
Total Assets: Manages more than $2 trillion in assets worldwide
- Largest asset manager in Europe with a global reach.
- Offers active, passive, and real assets investment strategies.
- Incorporates environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into investment decisions.
As the largest asset manager in Europe, Amundi oversees more than $2 trillion in assets worldwide. With its global reach and focus on meeting the investment needs of its clients, Amundi provides retail and institutional investors access to a wide range of investment solutions.
Amundi offers active, passive, and real assets investment strategies that are tailored to the needs of more than 100 million clients worldwide. Its product line includes equities, fixed income, multi-asset solutions, real assets, and structured products.
With offices in more than 35 countries and a workforce of 4,500 employees, Amundi has a strong presence in the main investment regions. Its extensive global network allows Amundi to identify and gain exposure to the best investment opportunities worldwide.
Amundi aims to generate long-term returns through active and responsible portfolio management, while incorporating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into its investment decisions. Amundi is committed to responsible investment and believes that ESG factors can have a material impact on the long-term risk and return of investments.
Whether you’re an individual investor looking to grow your savings or an institutional investor seeking tailored investment solutions, Amundi has the experience, expertise, and global reach to help meet your needs. With its vast array of investment products and services, Amundi is well positioned to continue leading the European asset management industry.
12. Charles Schwab Corporation: Revolutionizing Retail Brokerage with $6.7 Trillion in Client Assets
Total Assets: One of the 14 largest investment companies in the world
- Revolutionized the retail brokerage industry with innovative services.
- Offers a range of financial services to individual investors and independent financial advisors.
- Empower people to take control of their financial futures.
As the 14th largest investment company in the world, Charles Schwab Corporation has revolutionized the retail brokerage industry. With over 360 offices and 15,000 employees, Schwab provides financial services to millions of individual investors, as well as independent financial advisors.
Founded in 1971, Chuck Schwab set out to provide everyday people with greater access to the stock market through discounted brokerage services. Today, Schwab has over 15 million active brokerage accounts and $6.7 trillion in total client assets.
Schwab offers banking, brokerage, financial advisory, and custody services to individual investors and independent financial advisors. For individuals, Schwab provides an easy-to-use investing platform with no account minimums or hidden fees. They offer everything from stocks and ETFs to IRAs and college savings plans.
For independent advisors, Schwab Advisor Services acts as a custodian, offering services like trading, compliance, and practice management resources so advisors can focus on client relationships. With over 7,500 independent advisory firms served, Schwab is a leader in the custodial space.
Through a combination of human touch and innovative technology, Schwab aims to empower all people to take control of their financial futures. Their continued commitment to championing the individual investor has allowed Schwab to become a dominant force in investment services. Overall, Charles Schwab Corporation proves that what’s good for the investor can also be good for business.
13. Invesco: A Global Investment Management Giant with Over $1.2 Trillion in AUM
Total Assets: Manages over $1.2 trillion in assets
- Offers a diverse range of investment capabilities and vehicles.
- Focuses on active, high-conviction investing across global markets.
- Committed to delivering long-term solid results with integrity.
Invesco is one of the largest investment management companies in the world, with over $1.2 trillion in assets under management.
Founded in 1935, Invesco offers a diverse range of investment capabilities and vehicles to help clients achieve their financial objectives. They have a presence in more than 20 countries, with over 8,000 employees dedicated to delivering strong investment performance and an exceptional client experience.
Invesco provides access to a broad array of investment strategies, including equity, fixed income, balanced, alternative, and multi-asset portfolios. They are focused on active, high-conviction investing and offer ETFs, mutual funds, institutional portfolios, and financial solutions for both retail and institutional investors across the globe.
A cornerstone of Invesco’s investment philosophy is “Performing for clients. Performing with integrity.” They are firmly committed to:
- Delivering strong long-term results through active investment management
- Operating with the highest ethical standards and integrity
- Putting client needs first through a solutions-based approach
- Fostering a collaborative culture that values diverse perspectives.
Invesco has a proven track record of navigating market cycles and an entrepreneurial spirit that has allowed them to anticipate client needs for over 80 years. They continue to evolve and enhance their capabilities to provide the investment solutions clients need to achieve their long-term financial goals.
With Invesco’s scale and experience, dedication to performance, and client-centered solutions, it’s no wonder they are considered an industry leader and one of the top investment management firms worldwide.
14. Merrill: A Century-Old Icon in Investment and Wealth Management with $2.2 Trillion AUM
Total Assets: Manages over $2.2 trillion in client assets worldwide
- Provides investment and wealth management solutions for individuals, businesses, and institutions.
- Offers a range of investment solutions, including stocks, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, and annuities.
- Combines a history spanning more than 100 years with innovative solutions.
Merrill Lynch is one of the most well-known investment firms in the world. Acquired by Bank of America in 2008, Merrill provides investment and wealth management solutions for individuals, businesses, and institutions.
With a history spanning more than 100 years, Merrill Lynch has established itself as an icon in the financial industry. Founded in 1914 by Charles E. Merrill, the firm grew quickly through the early-mid 20th century. By the 1950s, Merrill had become the largest brokerage firm in the U.S.
Today, Merrill Lynch manages over $2.2 trillion in client assets worldwide. They offer guidance on major life events like saving for college, retirement planning, and estate management. Merrill advisors provide investment solutions including stocks, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, annuities, and alternative investments.
Merrill Edge, their online brokerage platform, gives self-directed investors tools to trade on their own. Merrill Guided Investing and Merrill Guided Investing with Advisor match investors with portfolios tailored to their goals.
Through acquisitions and global expansion, Merrill Lynch has established a dominant presence in wealth and investment management. With a renowned brand and innovative solutions, Merrill continues to shape the financial world, empowering clients to achieve their most important life pursuits.
These companies are AUM top-rankers standing at the apex of the global financial system with their influence spanning the globe, controlling trillions of dollars in assets, and shaping economies worldwide. With investors increasingly turning to index and exchange-traded funds, firms offering these passive investment vehicles have seen their AUM balloon. This concentration of ownership in a few colossal companies has sparked concerns over the sway they hold. However, proponents argue that these firms help provide much-needed liquidity and stability; thus, there is no doubt that these titans of finance will continue to transform the investment landscape in the coming decades.